Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
2,533 posts
161,800 visits

Do You Have An Emergency Financial Need?

Roseb441702 started this conversation

for all of those who are looking for financial assistance to help with an emergency financial should know that there are organizations out there that can help you.....

Do You Have An Emergency Financial Need?

Are you facing a financial emergency?

There is one organization that has helped more than 80 individuals/families in need of financial assistance. In 2009 one of the organization's funding programs - which provide emergency funding assistance has given out nearly 300 percent more in assistance than it did in all of 2008.

The purpose of this grant program is to help individuals and families who have chronic financial challenges.

People who qualify for assistance from this fund include those who have lost their jobs, have been out of work for months and months and have exhausted all their savings and resources. According to a spokesperson, "If they fit the criteria, they are able to access this fund for months at a time.”

This grant program was created as a way to help people who don’t qualify for one of the organization's other grant programs.

This funding program has been around for the last 20 years!

The grant program only makes one-time, emergency disbursements. Last year, 32 individuals or families received financial assistance through this funding program. So far over 75 individuals and/or families have received $75,000 in 2009!

This funding program is good for people who tend to struggle with something every year.

Since some of these funding programs are both relatively new, not many people know about them!

What's more the organization itself receives grant money itself to help fund their own grant programs!

One of the organizations funding programs is intended to help with large, one-time emergencies. It was established in a few years ago through the generosity of an anonymous donor. Grants have helped a couple with funeral expenses. Another time it helped a man repair his home after a fire. He had let his home owner’s insurance lapse.

The first step in obtaining assistance is leaving a message on the organization's helpline. The message will usually be returned by a caseworker within 24 hours. A spokesperson for the funding program said the initial phone call between the organization and the applicant takes between five and 10 minutes. Once the exact problem has been determined, the applicant is matched with a social worker, who meets with the client to make a fuller assessment of the situation. Thereafter, the social worker presents the case to the case-management team to decide whether the applicant qualifies for funds. Each application is evaluated on an individual basis. There are clear guidelines, but no set formula to receive assistance.

“If somebody needs financial assistance then we make sure they are taking advantage of other government programs. We have a whole checklist of programs to make sure that they are taking advantage of all the things they can” says the program's spokesperson. Applicants who need emergency funds may also qualify for other programs that the organization has to offer.

It is recommended that applicants apply as early as possible because the number of people seeking assistance has increased so much over the past year and because of that it can now take several weeks to actually receive assistance.

In 2008, 40 people, on average, called the organization for assistance each month. Last year more than 200 people called for help. While not all of these phone calls are for emergency needs, this shows that there has been a marked increase in the need for all of our services, includingemergency financial assistanceemergency assistance.

According to the program's spokesperson, “If somebody comes to us and says ‘I’m being evicted tomorrow it’s very hard to help. If someone comes in and says ‘I’m being evicted in three weeks,’ we can help”.


Click here to add your comment...
Hello, I have to have a surgery , well a complete shoulder replacement. And for my line of work the doctor says I can be out of work for 3 months! During this time, I have no money coming in! If I don't do this surgery I will not be able to do my line of work by spring of next year! I tried disability, but apparently, they will only give Ssi to someone out 12 months . Can, you point me in a direction that I may get some kind of assistance?
Talk to Sassicister
littlelacie   in reply to namataka
Rose has not been on here for years. We do not know any resources that will give people money to start a business.
Talk to littlelacie
santa's lost elve   in reply to namataka
start a business by means of free government grants they pay for everything to set you up for one year at which point you have to make it stay afloat.They pay the wages,account,lease or price to put a building up.inventory,furnishings,supplies,utilities ect......
Talk to santa's lost elve
I am in need of money to start a business to sustain my family
Talk to namataka
hopeful 50
I am in great need for a vehicle and financial help.
Talk to hopeful 50
littlelacie   in reply to Michelle07
Yes, thats true- at age 1 size of house probably would not be an issue. I just wanted you to be aware of that but sounds like you already are. I would hate for you to spend a lot to fix the attic and then have them decide they didn't want him in an attic. Yes,good,solve this before it comes up. I'm sorry, we really don't know of any funding like that, I wish we did. If I do locate anything I will let you know.. Need to know your city,state so I know where to look for help. Thanks.
Talk to littlelacie
Michelle07   in reply to littlelacie
Thanks for your reply they dos come out and assess my home but more for safety as he was just turning 1 when he first came but now he's nearly 2 and what am I to do when he's getting bigger he's going to need his own privacy also but thankyou for your help am going to talk once more to his social worker as I've already expressed this worry to her .
Talk to Michelle07
littlelacie   in reply to Michelle07
Hi, the person you wrote to has not been on this site for five years. that what you said is kind of unusual- before a family member is asked to assume long-term care of a child, the family home is checked out to see if it is adequate in size to comfortably accomodate another person. If you do not have enough room, they may look for alternative placement. We are not aware of any resources that will help pay to remodel your attic.
Talk to littlelacie
Hello I was wondering if u can help point me in some direction I've had to foster my grandson from April this year . And now have been asked to adopt or take a reseisaice order to keep him until he's an adult I have no room at my home and he's still in my small room with both of us ,who can I go to for help to make the attic a bedroom for him or get an extension something and help or support would be brilliant thanks so much ...
Talk to Michelle07
littlelacie   in reply to MiSpi
You are very welcome.
Talk to littlelacie
MiSpi   in reply to littlelacie
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you so much. I am giving them a call.
Talk to MiSpi
littlelacie   in reply to MiSpi
Hi, the person you wrote to has not been on this site for years.I do not know of any places that will help with that, but you can try,calling 211,give city,county,state, say what you need help with(help paying for an operation.) They will tell you what resources are available that might be able to help.
Talk to littlelacie
My mother has to have vital surgery on November 18. We have been to our congressman, with no avail. We care about this woman greatly. She has no insurance to cover the cost. We are located in SC. Her operation costs $6000. Is there an agency or organization that would be able to help?
Talk to MiSpi
SweetiePie*   in reply to bluenimue
Thank you for the info. I will check these out. This was just an unexpected emergency and with things the way they are it is taking a toll. She had to have a hysterectomy due to cancer cells. She is doing good thus far. Just don't have the funds to keep things rolling when you are living form paycheck to paycheck.
Talk to SweetiePie*
bluenimue   in reply to SweetiePie*
Hi SweetPie,

I don't know where you are located but I can offer you some ideas that might help you. There are local charities in your area that could direct you to food bank programs in your area but of course you may not qualify. Since your daughter has kids, does your school offer a special food bank for kids in need-some may do this. Some churches will provide you food if you sign up with them...Catholic, Mormon, etc. If they don't give you free food churches may be able to offer you a bundle food package program-you buy a large quantity of food at a lower price. A charity out of Troy, Michigan called Share A Smile may be willing to look at your emergency request and help your daughter with certain bills-call them and speak to their staff. Of course, you may have some local charities in your area that might be of some benefit. Are you or your daughter signed up with any counseling programs? Some counseling programs will give you a "food voucher" to take to local churches just because you are receiving counseling.

What kind of surgery is your daughter having? Their may be funds available for people like her depending on the surgery.
Try going online to ask for funds:,,....etc.

If you had supplemental insurance such as Colonial Life then you could get some reimbursement for medical coverage but that has to take place beforehand.
Talk to bluenimue
Jonathan atwiine   in reply to bluenimue
Hi how are you
Talk to Jonathan atwiine
littlelacie   in reply to SweetiePie*
hi, the person you wrote to has not been on here for years.have your daughter dial 211, give city,county,state, say what she needs help with. they will tell her what resources are available that might be able to help.
Talk to littlelacie
My daughter is having much needed surgery on Friday 11/07/2014 and will be out of work for a period of time. She works and has two children. Her income is just above the limit to receive any help from SS. She has depleted her savings and I am not able to help her since I am on a very limited income. Is there any way that she can receive help for food and needed things while she goes through this? It would be more than appreciated.
Talk to SweetiePie*
bluenimue   in reply to Jonathan atwiine
HI Jonathan-
I am from a different country so I am not the best person for locating local resources in your area. I would recommend that you contact your local social services, churches and sign up for some part time jobs or an unemployment through your country's aid services. Good luck to you tho.
Talk to bluenimue
bluenimue   in reply to Jonathan atwiine
HI Jonathan
Talk to bluenimue